Gate of the Minderbroeders monastery (Friars Minor of Franciscans)
The friars Minor are thought to have first settled in Diest in the early 13th century. During the next century numerous buildings were erected, which were repeatedly renovated and altered. After the French annexation in the late 18th century the former monastery buildings were sold off and then demolished. Only the gate and perhaps the 18th century house with the cement rendered walls standing behind them are left to remind us of the Franciscan presence. The gate itself has a sandstone surround and pilasters. A gothic statue dating from about 1500 stands in the niche above the gate.
Michel Theysstraat 6