The Gothic cloth hall was built in 1346. It came after the previous cloth house, opposite Saint Sulpitius Church, no longer offered sufficient space. The hall is built in brown ironstone, interspersed with gable band courses in white stone.
The 'Holle Griet', a fifteenth-century cannon with a weight of 5,000 kg, stands in front of the cloth hall. A product made by the Diest ironsmiths.
During the first half of the fifteenth century, Diest was one of the largest cities in the Duchy of Brabant. Cloth from Diest was very well known and was offered for sale at annual markets just about everywhere in Europe. The cloth industry and trade turned medieval Diest into a prosperous city.