The church of Saint Barbara
The church was commissioned by the Augustinians, who had settled in Diest in 1614. Building works were started in 1656 end were completed between 1664 and 1667. Constructed in red sandstone and brick, the church is an attractive example of the basic baroque style. Unlike many other churches of the period, the façade is decorated with relatively flat, non-sculpted architectural elements. This finds expression in the division of the wall by pilasters, the large glazed window and the entrance. The façade was restored in 1896 and displays two sets of arms, with the higher one being that one of the Augustinian order, while the lower one, wich is set on a blue limestone tablet above the door, is that of the Fratres Cruciferi.